The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is legislation designed to harmonise data protection laws across the European Union. The enforcement date was May 25, 2018.
What is GDPR, exactly?
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) replaces the European Union’s 1995 Data Protection Directive. The GDPR regulates processing of personal data in the European Union. The GDPR gives individuals more rights and control over their data, and provides for increased enforcement and fines for non-compliant organisations.
Organisations are also required to report certain data breaches to authorities, and provide users with increased security requirements with respect to the processing of personal data. The provisions of the GDPR apply to any organization operating in, or processing personal data from individuals in, the European Union, regardless of whether the organisation has a physical presence in the EU.
How is MEX ensuring compliance with the GDPR?
To ensure that our users are comfortable with how their data is used, we have been working on data privacy, security, and GDPR compliance since early 2012. Our goal is to be as transparent as possible throughout the compliance process. Our high level roadmap with respect to our compliance efforts includes:
- Performing internal due diligence with respect to areas of the business and product impacted by GDPR
- Developing a timeline of responsibilities and action items to ensure compliance prior to the enforcement date
- Reviewing and auditing our third party vendors with respect to their compliance, as applicable
- Developing internal and external policies regarding data protection, privacy, and retention.
- Source and surface the type of personal information we collect
- Understand how we use personal information to enhance the service used by you.
- Define the legal grounds for using personal information
- Focus on your rights in relation to the information we hold about you and give you access and control over it’s usage.
What do MEX users need to do?
Feel free to login an update your preferences as and when you need to – www.mexexhibits.com